Two-bedroom apartment with river view for sale in the diplomatic quarter of Lisbon
Beauchamp Estates and Tamea International, an independent real estate consultancy, have entered into a collaborative partnership with the purpose of sharing with their clients the benefits that Portugal as an investment opportunity can offer.
More and more individuals and organisations are choosing Portugal as a destination, whether to relocate or to invest, due to the lifestyle and the strategic geolocation, as well as citizenship and tax exemption programmes.
Portugal is located in the southwest of Europe and has a small size of just over ten million inhabitants. In addition to a friendly and welcoming population, the levels of security and quality of life, in general, facilitate the integration of other cultures.
According to the Expat Insider 2020 Survey from InterNations, Portugal came third overall out of 64 global destinations and was at the top of the rankings for Europe.
The two main reasons to buy property in Portugal are:
1. If you’re looking to relocate to Portugal, The Non-Habitual Residency is a very attractive programme that grants tax benefits when becoming a Portuguese tax resident. Currently, you can acquire Portuguese residency by spending at least 182 days a year or having your main home here.
Benefits and Conditions:
- People from all around the world (including non-EU/EEA citizens) can qualify for NHR if they have not been resident in Portugal within the previous five calendar years.
- Under NHR, your foreign income, dividends, interest and capital gains will be exempt from Portuguese taxation for ten consecutive years, as long as these are taxable at source within an applicable tax treaty.
- Exemption on foreign employment income if it is effectively taxed at source.
This means that many expatriates living in Portugal can potentially receive most foreign rental income, capital gains on real estate, interest, dividends and non-Portuguese employment income tax-free.
2. If you’re looking to invest in Portugal and acquire an E.U. Passport, the Portuguese government has been offering a successful Citizenship by InvestmentProgramme - The Golden Visa - since 2012.
With the Golden Visa, investors can:
- Freely enter, live, work and study in Portugal
- Freely travel within the Schengen Area
- Apply for family reunification
- Apply to permanent residency or citizenship after 5 years
Investors applying for the Golden Visa only need to spend a minimum of 7 days in Portugal for the first year, then no less than 14 days each subsequent two-year period.