French Riviera by Area
The French Riviera needs no introduction. The South of France has long been one of the most popular destinations in the world, drawing visitors year after year with its golden sunshine, beautiful scenery and luxurious lifestyle. From Monaco down to St Tropez, the French Riviera coastline is made up of fashionable seaside resort towns, each more glamorous than the next. Inland, the hilltop villages overlooking the Mediterranean offer a little slice of life in Provence, surrounded by olive trees and the ubiquitous smell of lavender. From shopping to skiing, beaches to bars, the French Riviera has it all, and so much more besides.
Sitting on the border between France and Italy at the Eastern tip of the French Riviera, Monaco is the most extravagant principality in the world. Famous for its Casinos and Grand Prix, Monaco is both a modern business centre and a chic resort, the perfect combination of city life and beach action. Throw in some of the best nightlife to be found anywhere, a restaurant scene which rivals any city in the world and enough designer boutiques to keep even the most determined shopper happy, and you can see why Monaco is synonymous with the good life.
Just down the coast from Monaco, you’ll find St Jean Cap Ferrat, a former fishing village turned resort which is a world away from the busy principality. Set on a peninsula, the stunning villas and mansions of St Jean Cap Ferrat are surrounded by wild countryside and dramatic Mediterranean coastline with incredible views straight out to sea. The town may be small but the port is full of excellent restaurants, and cafés and the beaches around the peninsula are some of the quietest and prettiest on the French Riviera.
A little further down the littoral sit Antibes and neighbouring Cap d’Antibes,a small town with a big reputation. The area around Antibes has been seducing artists like for years thanks to the golden light and gorgeous scenery of the Mediterranean coastline. The town plays host to many exciting events, but life in Antibes is enjoyable round thanks to the lively restaurants, bars and pubs which line the port. With a daily market in the centre of Vieille Antibes and some very exclusive private beaches between the town and the peninsula, you’ll love this area and all it has to offer.
Antibes’ next door neighbour, is a city which needs no introduction. Famous the world over for its annual Film Festival, Cannes is perhaps the glamorous beach resort in the world. The beautiful seafront is separated from the city centre by the Boulevard de la Croisette, with its luxury boutiques and Belle Epoque palaces, while the streets of the old town lined with restaurants and shops, wind lazily down to the port. Cannes is of course not just about films, it also plays host to some top Congress events throughout the year, bringing together the movers and shakers of the business world at the Palais des Festivals by the sea. Once you’ve experienced them, it’s difficult to resist the lure of the gourmet restaurants and decadent bars which along with the high-end shops and sandy beaches make Cannes such a glittering place to live.
Leaving the coast behind, in the hills around Cannes you’ll find some of the prettiest villages on the French Riviera. The hinterland has been enchanting visitors for years with its Provençal charm. As you make your way up into the hills from the littoral, you’ll find yourself falling in love with Medieval castles, cobbled streets and tiny sunlit chapels. Life in the hinterland is laid-back and relaxed, there are traditional markets and year-round festivals to enjoy, and there’s always time for a coffee in the village square. Delicious restaurants and cosy bistros are dotted all over just waiting to be discovered for a long lunch with friends that you’ll remember for years to come. The lush green hillsides with their olive trees and fields of flowers look like they’ve come straight out of a story book, but sometimes reality beats fiction, and the French Riviera hinterland really is as beautiful as you imagine.
At the Western end of the French Riviera, you’ll find the most well-known fishing village in the world. St Tropez may once have been a sleepy little port, but these days it’s legendary for its fabulous beaches and chic summer crowd. There are miles of golden sand around St Tropez with some of the most elite beach clubs on the planet to be found on Pampelonne beach. In the town centre, go straight to the port in the heart of the village and grab one of the quayside tables for the ultimate people-watching experience. With its trendy restaurants, lively bars and epic nightlife, St Tropez is truly the ultimate summer destination on the French Riviera.
Living in the French Riviera
When you decide to move to the French Riviera be prepared, this is the lifestyle that dreams are made of. The year-round sunshine is definitely a game-changer but it’s about more than just sunshine, thanks to the high standard of living and fabulous surroundings, the South of France also offers a unique quality of life.
From sprawling modern cities to hidden hilltop villages, there are so many different places to explore along the coast. The scenery is stunning and the views of the Mediterranean are endless. Whether you’re looking for pristine white beaches, ancient olive groves or gleaming modern architecture, the French Riviera has got it all.
When it comes to culture, the French Riviera is of course, renowned for its art galleries and museums.This area has been inspiring artists and sculptors for hundreds of years. And nothing beats the events hosted on the French Riviera each year. Enjoy some of the best jazz in the world, celebrate film on an international level, attend legendary concerts or watch dramatic firework displays light up the skies over the Mediterranean, there’s always something going on.
Sports fans will love the range of exciting competitions held in the French Riviera each year. From sailing to skiing, Formula 1 racing to showjumping, the world-class events held up and down the coast will thrill and delight the whole family, especially as living here means you have a front row seat for all the action.
The French Riviera is home to some of the best chefs in the world and the restaurant scene is heaven for gourmet fans, eating out has never been so much fun. From Michelin-starred palaces to tiny family bistros, the French Riviera has an incredible selection of restaurants and this area of France is famous for its long-standing love affair with food. Discover Provençal specialities or dine on classic Mediterranean cuisine with a fabulous modern twist, your next great meal is always just around the corner when you live on the French Riviera.
Shopping is another one of the things the French Riviera does very well. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a better selection of luxury boutiques and designer names than on the stretch of coastline between St Tropez and Monaco. From the latest fashions to fabulous jewellery and accessories, you’ll need no excuse to hit the shops. And it’s not just the big names that draw shoppers in, the South of France has some of the best markets in Europe. Browse fruit and vegetables grown in the French Riviera sunshine or pick up fresh seafood straight from the fisherman himself, going to market is a way of life in the South.
With all that sunshine on hand, it’s easy to enjoy a healthy lifestyle on the French Riviera. This is the perfect place to enjoy a huge range of sports from paddle boarding and parasailing in summer to skiing and snowboarding in the winter. Learn to dive or to sail, go hiking or mountain biking, take up beach yoga or buy a jetski, there are endless opportunities for outdoor sports all year round on the French Riviera.
The French Riviera has been famous for its glittering nightlife since it was discovered by the aristocracy way back when. Ever since the first casino opened its doors in Monaco, people have been flocking to the French Riviera to try their luck. And while you might win a fortune on the tables, there are lots of other ways to make sure you have a great night. The beach clubs up and down the coast host legendary summer parties each year, while the vibrant bars and nightclubs provide the perfect backdrop for international DJs and music superstars. Living on the French Riviera means every night will be one to remember.
Once you decide to make the move to the French Riviera, you’ll never look back. Life here is as glamorous and exciting as it appears, this is one location that more than lives up to the hype. With beautiful surroundings and glorious year-round sunshine a given, all that remains is for you to find your dream home on the French Riviera and get ready for the start of your new life.
Choosing French Riviera Property
Buying real estate on the French Riviera is so much more than just purchasing property. The French Riviera is home to some of the most outstanding and historical villas ever built, and there are fabulous real estate opportunities up and down the coast, just waiting to be snapped up. To help you decide which of our stunning properties will be your new home, we’ve put together a list of things to take into consideration before you buy:
- Storage: Whether you’re planning to use your villa as your permanent residence or as a second home, we’re pretty sure a little extra storage will come in handy. Why not keep your living space chic with a minimalist vibe and opt for one of our French Riviera villas with an underground cellar or additional storage area instead.
- Parking: The French Riviera is a year-round destination, but this can make parking difficult up and down the coast. To make sure you never need to waste time searching for a spot, we have a wide range of luxury villas with private garages and parking spaces from Monaco all the way down to St Tropez.
- Well-being: If fitness and well-being are your focus, why not consider purchasing one of our many villas with a home gym, fitness room or spa to make sure you’re in the best possible shape for your new life on the French Riviera.
- Swimming pool: And when it comes to fitness, another great way to stay in shape during the warmer months is with your own private pool. Luckily, we have a long list of luxury villas all over the French Riviera with fabulous outdoor pools to keep the whole family entertained all summer long.
- Outdoor space: One of the biggest advantages of life on the French Riviera is the wonderful Mediterranean climate. Take advantage of the year-round warm temperatures and browse through our selection of villas with a spacious terrace or garden to really make the most of all that golden sunshine.
- Views: If you’re looking for breathtaking views and unforgettable sunsets, you’ve come to the right place. The French Riviera is after all, renowned for its picturesque scenery. Whether you want to gaze out at over lush mountains, azure-blue water or a glittering city skyline, we’ve got just the right villa for you.
French Riviera Lifestyle
When it comes to choosing where to invest in luxury property, you won’t find a much better bet than the French Riviera. The South of France is one of the most desirable places to live in the world, and real estate here is always in demand. If you’re purchasing with a view to rent your property later down the line, keep in mind that France is the most visited country in the world. A real estate investment here offers the potential for great returns on a year-round basis. There are many reasons to consider a move to the French Riviera, but the high standard of living coupled with the glorious weather and beautiful surroundings are definitely at the top of the list:
- The location: The French Riviera is perfectly placed in the South of France with easy access to major cities all over the world. There are two major commercial airports in Nice and Toulon, plus the Cannes Mandelieu airport for private air travel. Italy is just a short drive away and the beautiful island of Corsica is within a day’s sailing from the major towns along the French Riviera.
- The climate: The French Riviera enjoys far more than its fair share of sunshine, with on average 300 days of sun per year. Summers are long and hot and the winters are mild with beautiful blue skies all year round.
- The beaches: The golden stretches of sand in St Tropez, the hidden coves in St Jean Cap Ferrat and the select private beaches in Monaco, the French Riviera is legendary for its glorious coastline.
- The events: The French Riviera hosts some of the most dazzling events on the planet. From the Film Festival in Cannes, the Grand Prix in Monaco or the sailing regattas in St Tropez, the South of France is always in the international spotlight.
- The things to do: Gourmet restaurants, luxury boutiques, big-name concerts, skiing, watersports, the French Riviera has it all and then some.
- The nightlife: To say the nightlife on the French Riviera is glamorous would be an understatement. The South of France has some of the best nightclubs and hippest bars in the Mediterranean. Not forgetting the cosy wine bars and watering holes in the hillside villages, you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to going out in the evening.
- The real estate opportunities: The luxury properties of the French Riviera are highly sought-after and come with high resale and rental value. This is one investment you’ll always be pleased you made.
Highlights of the Social Calendar
The French Riviera has always been known for its glittering social life. Some of the most well-known events on the planet are hosted here every year, there’s always something big going on in this part of the world. Here are some of the highlights which you won’t want to miss:
- Cannes: International Fireworks Festival ~ July
- Mandelieu: Fete des Mimosas ~ February
- St Tropez: Au Large de St Tropez Regatta ~ March
- Monaco: Monte Carlo Rolex Tennis Masters ~ April
- Cannes: Film Festival ~ May
- Monaco: Grand Prix & Historic Grand Prix ~ May
- Grasse: International Rose Exhibition ~ May
- Antibes: Les Nuits Carrées ~ June
- Mougins: International Gastronomy Festival~ June
- Juan les Pins: Jazz à Juan Festival ~ July
- St Jean Cap Ferrat: Classiques de Juillet Concerts ~ July
- Monaco: Monte Carlo International Fireworks Festival ~ July & August
- Monaco: Yacht Show ~ September
- St Tropez: Les Voiles de St Tropez Regatta ~ September & October
- Mouans Sartoux: Book Festival ~ October
Purchase Process in France
To help you understand the purchase process in France, we've visualised the steps in an infographic. Visit the link below to see the full guide:
Arrange a Viewing
If the French Riviera has caught your eye and you’d like more information about purchasing any of our luxury properties, please get in touch. Our team will be delighted to give you more details about our real estate and organise a viewing for you at your convenience.