Best Places to Live in France
France is a country of contrasts. From the brilliant sunshine and beautiful coastline of the French Riviera to the stunning scenery of the Alps and the bright lights of Paris, French landscapes and lifestyles vary enormously from region to region.
Famous for its outstanding food, wine and fashion, France might be the world’s most popular tourist destination, but it’s an even better place to live. France manages to effortlessly blend modern culture with historical charm. This is a country which appreciates the better things in life. Deciding to purchase
luxury properties in France for you and your family could very well be the best decision you ever make.
France is a big country with lots of open space and some incredible real estate opportunities. If you’re looking to buy a place away from it all, you’ll be spoilt for choice by the numerous rural villages and towns throughout France. Living in the French countryside is the perfect opportunity to explore a more traditional way of life. Shop at the local market, sip coffee in the village square and have dinner at a bistro run by the same family for generations. Village life in France is simple and charming, and a world away from the noise and hustle of life in the big city.
France has some of the prettiest coastlines in the world. With miles of golden sand and rocky coves to explore, life on the French coast is a paradise for beach lovers. Enjoy sunbathing, swimming and thrilling watersports right on your doorstep, it’s scientifically proven that all that sunshine and fresh air is good for you. From glamorous resort towns to tiny fishing villages, whether you’re looking for a modern villa overlooking the ocean or a beachfront apartment within walking distance of the shore, you’ll love living by the sea in France.
City living in France is exciting and cosmopolitan. When you purchase a city centre luxury French property, you’re also purchasing a unique lifestyle with access to amazing restaurants, designer boutiques and fabulous cultural events. Choose a spacious penthouse apartment with a view of the skyline or perhaps a charming townhouse to use as your family home. From nightlife to entertainment, shopping to leisure activities, city life in France is the perfect choice for anybody who wants to be in the heart of all the action.
Leaving the coast behind, France also has some of the most glorious mountain ranges in Europe. Choose a luxury property in the mountains for a spectacular setting and a range of outdoor activities throughout the year. From skiing to mountain biking, hiking to snowboarding, the French mountain ranges will provide a breathtaking backdrop to your luxury chalet or house. Moving to the mountains is the ideal opportunity to enjoy an active and healthy lifestyle in France amongst some of the most stunning scenery in the world.
Living in France
Moving to France is the beginning of a whole new lifestyle. Surrounded by fabulous scenery and endless opportunities to try new experiences, you’ll love living in this rich and varied country. The mild climate and beautiful surroundings will inspire you to get out and explore your new area, while the easy access to some of the best museums and galleries in the world make every trip into the city unforgettable.
If you’re a sports fan or you enjoy an active lifestyle, France is definitely the place for you. From the beach resorts with their wide range of watersports, to the mountains where the ski season runs all winter long, living well is easy in France. Pick up a fresh pastime or aim for a new personal best, France has some of the best sports facilities in the world. And of course France is equally famous when it comes to sport at a professional level. Watch nail-biting tennis tournaments and sailing regattas to say nothing of a thrilling Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix and world-class cycling race throughout the year. From horse racing to motor sports, running to surfing, there is a different sporting event every week in France so you’ll be ideally placed to catch all the action once you invest in French property and move here.
If you have a passion for fashion and you love to shop, moving to France will feel like coming home. Known as the fashion capital of the world, France has produced some of the most talented and creative fashion designers in the history of clothes. Spend hours browsing the luxury boutiques and designer stores in cities all over France to find the latest ‘it’ bag, or explore cobbled streets in tiny villages for unique jewellery and gifts. Going to market to shop is also a huge part of daily life in France. Browse stalls full of fruit and vegetables grown in the French sunshine. Or buy freshly caught fish for lunch or try a selection of artisan cheeses straight from the farm. Markets are an integral part of life in a French town, the perfect place to spend a sunny morning and get to know your neighbours over a spot of shopping and a coffee.
When it comes to culture, France literally wrote the book. The word culture originated in France, and when it comes to cinema, art, fashion and literature, France is always at the top of the list. There are museums all over the country dedicated to everything from the world’s great artists to the less artistic but equally fascinating fire engines, your biggest problem will be finding time to visit them all! It’s rare to find a village or town in France without a local theatre or gallery, and art and music are celebrated all year round with festivals and performances in the streets. Discover Medieval towns and walled villages high in the mountains, visit huge Gothic cathedrals and tiny chapels by the sea, take in a show or see the latest French masterpiece at the cinema before it’s discovered by the rest of the world. There’s never a dull moment when you live in France.
One of the best reasons to buy a French property, without a doubt, is the cuisine. Food is a passion in France, the French love cooking and eating and some of the best restaurants in the world can be found across the hexagon. French cooking is rich in flavour and history, this is a country where even a simple picnic is a gourmet delight after all. From seafood fresh from the ocean to truffles grown in the French forests and delicate pastries whipped up in village boulangeries, no matter where you decide to live, you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to places to eat. Not forgetting that France has some incredible vineyards and produces a huge selection of delicious wines and champagnes every year which are sold all over the world. Get ready, because once you choose to make France your home, you’ll be perfectly placed to enjoy some of the most memorable meals of your life.
Nightlife in France is as exciting and vibrant as you’d imagine. The French love any excuse to celebrate and even the smallest town has its own bar or bistro where you can sip wine and catch up on the latest gossip. If you’re looking for sophisticated nights out, dazzling cocktail parties, and incredible VIP clubs, France has got it all and then some. From glamorous casinos to laidback beach clubs, cosy pubs to lively piano bars, France’s social life is just as sparkling as its fabulous champagne!
Choosing a Property in France
Once you decide to make the move to France, the next step is to find the perfect property for your new lifestyle. As you’d imagine, in such a large and diverse country there are endless options to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a modern city centre apartment, an elegant villas set in its own grounds, a luxurious ski chalet or a fabulous beachside property, we’ve put together a list of key factors to consider before making that all-important decision:
- Outdoor space: No matter which region of France you’ve fallen in love with, you’ll want to make the most of living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. We have an amazing selection of properties with outdoor space ranging from a sunny balcony in the city to beautifully-manicured gardens or several hectares of land set in the countryside.
- Swimming Pool: Blessed with a mild climate, much of France enjoys long hot summers with plenty of sunshine. So it might be worth considering a property with a swimming pool to keep the family entertained during the holidays. Browse our range of properties with private pools all over the country to find your new favourite.
- Parking: Parking is at a premium in most big cities and France is certainly no exception to the rule. So instead of spending your precious time searching for a parking spot, why not select one of our many properties with a private garage or outdoor parking space.
- Storage: A little extra storage space can go a long way when you’re furnishing a new home. Check out our fantastic selection of French properties with additional storage areas or private cellars and find a place for everything and more besides.
- Views: France is renowned for its breathtaking scenery. From majestic snow-covered mountains to golden beaches, lush green fields to dazzling cityscapes, this beautiful country has it all. Take a look at our luxury properties located in the most scenic regions of the country and let us help you find your own little corner of paradise.
French Property for Sale by Area
The French Lifestyle
France has something for everyone. From chateaux to ski resorts, vineyards to beaches, whatever you’re looking for, you’ll find it in this beautiful country. Whether you’re planning a permanent move, looking for a second home in the sun or hoping for a savvy financial investment, France is the ideal place to purchase real estate. Here are just a few of the reasons why France should be your first choice:
- The climate: From the sunshine of the South of France to the crisp cold winters in the snowy ski resorts of the Alps, France has been blessed with a fantastic range of climate zones
- The location: Ideally located in Western Europe, and bordering the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, France is easily accessible from anywhere in the world. France is connected to many European countries so hopping over the border to spend a long weekend in Italy or Spain couldn’t be simpler.
- The scenery: France has some of the most diverse scenery in the world. From the rooftops of Paris to the lavender fields of Provence, via the most stunning mountains, lakes and beaches, you’ll love living here.
- The things to do: Enjoy rural life in a small French village, get away from it all in the mountains or head to the bright lights of the big city, la vie est belle here in France.
- The culture: France is known all over the world for its fabulous art galleries and museums, to say nothing of it being the fashion capital of the world. You’ll never be short of something to do once you’re living here.
- The food: France is the home of gastronomy. Indulge in buttery pastries, delicious cheeses, fresh seafood, the list of delicious dishes is endless. Many of the best restaurants and the best chefs in the world can be found in France so once you live here, you’ll have no excuse not to indulge.
- The real estate opportunities: France has so much real estate potential. Purchase a property as your second home, or to rent out for the season, France is the most visited country in the world, so you can be sure of making a good investment.
The Purchase Process in France
Buying a luxury property in France can seem confusing at first but it’s actually a very straight-forward procedure.
The purchase process is set up to protect both buyer and seller and usually only takes a couple of months from start to finish. From putting in an offer to collecting the keys to your new home we’ll be with you every step of the way, so the only thing that you’ll need to do is find your perfect property from our fantastic selection.
To help you understand how it works, we've visualised the purchase process on the following infographic.
Arrange a Viewing
Once you’ve decided to make France your new home, just contact our team who will take care of the details. They will be delighted to give you some more information about our luxury properties and arrange viewings at your convenience.