Cannes Essential Details
- Post code: 06029 / 06400
- Region: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Department: Alpes-Maritimes
- Population: 73,603
- Elevation: 0 - 260 m
- Geo-coordinates: 43°33′05″N 7°00′46″E
- Distance to Nice airport: 27 km (30 mins drive)
- More info on Wikipedia
Cannes by Area
Cannes has some of the most luxurious real estate on the French Riviera. From penthouse apartments set on palm tree-lined boulevards to glorious hillside villas, this place really does have it all. Cannes has long inspired artists and writers with its beauty and light, this part of the South of France is truly stunning. The exclusive beach clubs on the Croisette are ideal for the summer season which, let’s face it, is pretty much all year round on the French Riviera. And its decadent nightlife has long earned Cannes a place amongst the most glamorous resorts in the world. Whether you’re looking for a loft-style apartment in the city or a sprawling villa in the hills with its own estate, there’s no place like home, and there’s definitely no place like a home in Cannes.
The ‘Banane’ district is the banana-shaped area in the city centre which encompasses the Croisette with its fabulous beachside apartments and the Carré d’Or with its shops and restaurants. Compact and easily walkable, you won’t need a car if you decide to invest in a property in this area of Cannes. Some of the most modern residences can be found in the Carré d’Or, choose from a selection of penthouse or garden apartments in the heart of the shopping district.
Stroll down to the seafront for breakfast in the sunshine, before popping to the market to get some fresh bread for lunch, everything is just a couple of minutes away from home. Down on the Croisette, the Palais des Festivals plays host to glamorous events all year-round, a real plus if you’re considering letting your Cannes property during the year. Our properties in these areas range from one bedroom to around five bedrooms. For larger properties, it's best to consider other areas as mentioned lower down.
Just along the Croisette is Le Suquet, the oldest and prettiest part of Cannes. Opt for traditional charm in this area, with high ceilings and original features, the apartments here are just right for a pied à terre in the port. And with restaurants and bars lining the narrow streets of Le Suquet, you won’t have far to go for dinner or drinks come the evening.
At the very tip of the Croisette, you’ll find Palm Beach with its waterfront apartments. Expect incredible sunrises with views over the beautiful Lerins Islands. The area is just that little bit further out of the hustle and bustle, so you’ll escape the noise of the city centre, but still be close enough to walk to your favourite restaurant for dinner. Sit on the terrace and enjoy a refreshing sea breeze during the long hot summer evenings, living by the beach has never felt so good.
High above the city centre lies Super Cannes. This exclusive neighbourhood is home to some of Cannes’s most outstanding properties. Made up of gated estates with olive groves and pine trees as standard, Super Cannes is ideal if you’re looking for complete calm and tranquillity. And of course, you’re only a short ride away from the bright lights of the city, popping in for lunch with friends or a day at the beach couldn’t be easier. Enjoy all that Cannes has to offer before heading back to your lovely home on the hillside.
La Californie wasn’t actually named after the iconic US state, but it might as well have been with its rolling hills and fabulous 1920s and 30s villas. The sun hits this part of Cannes first thing in the morning so you can enjoy leisurely breakfasts on the terrace all year round, there’s no nicer way to start the day. Much of Cannes’ most luxurious real estate can be found in La Californie, life surrounded by blue skies high above the sparkling sea is very good indeed.
If you'd prefer to be a bit further out in the countryside, you could consider a property in Grasse, Mougins or Valbonne for example. Or if you prefer more tarnqulity on the coast, Théoule sur Mer or Cap d'Antibes could be the place for you to invest.
Living in the Cannes area
Cannes has been charming visitors ever since it was first discovered by the British and Russian royal families back in the 19th Century. Historically Cannes was seen as a winter resort by members of the jet set in search of sunshine during the cooler months. But in the 1920s it was discovered by the likes of Coco Chanel, and Cole Porter and the town reinvented itself as the place to summer on the French Riviera. Once you’ve spent a season in Cannes, you won’t want to spend your summers anywhere else.
In May each year, the season kicks off with a bang when Hollywood rolls in to town for the Film Festival. Throughout the long summer months, Cannes hosts some of the French Riviera’s most dazzling parties, but it hasn’t forgotten its beginnings as a winter resort. Events are held all year round in the city, so you’ll never be at a loss for something to do when you’re here.
The Mediterranean climate in this part of the world is definitely a bonus, but Cannes is so much more than a seaside resort. The area has a thriving gourmet restaurant scene with chefs from all over the world competing to increase Cannes’ already impressive collection of Michelin stars. And of course, it’s not all formal dining in Cannes, there are plenty of casual bistros and cafés serving up pasta and pizza in the old town. If seafood is your thing, you’re in for a treat, as the daily market has some of the best fresh fish and shellfish on the French Riviera. In fact, the Cannes market is the best place to do most of your food shopping. Browse the brightly coloured fruit and vegetable stalls in the sunshine or pick up some herbes de provence straight from the hillside around Cannes.
When it comes to culture, Cannes has got it in spades. There are many museums and art galleries to explore and more than enough Medieval monuments to keep history buffs happy. The town plays host to an annual dance festival, and there are theatre, comedy and music events on the programme throughout the year. In summer the skies light up for a week when the fireworks festival is held in the bay of Cannes, and in June the streets are filled with live music to celebrate the Festival de la Musique. Of course, there are also 5 high-tech cinemas in Cannes which alternate between showing Hollywood blockbusters and French Arthouse in air-conditioned comfort. But then again, would you expect anything less from the home of the most prestigious Film Festival in the world?
It goes without saying that the nightlife in Cannes is some of the very best on the French Riviera. From glamorous Gatsby-inspired cocktail parties on the beach to clubs with big-name DJs spinning the latest dance anthems, you’ll find a new favourite every week. For more laid back evenings, why not make one of the Irish pubs your new local and chill out with a beer or two. Hidden away in Le Suquet are some fantastic little piano bars which have been entertaining the Cannois crowds since the 1920s. Pop in for a glass of wine and stay for the music and atmosphere, there’s always an excuse to celebrate when you live on the French Riviera.
Lined up along the Croisette, you’ll find all the big designer names and luxury boutiques, perfect for epic shopping sprees. Shop 'til you drop in the Carré d’Or where you’ll find the latest fashions, jewellery, and home goods on offer. Check out the little stores in the Rue d’Antibes, and Rue Meynadier for one of a kind gifts and sweet treats, the macarons from the patisserie Jean-Luc Pelé are wickedly delicious. On Mondays, there is an antiques market in the Place du Marché. The stalls are packed with beautiful porcelain, glassware and antique French furniture, perfect for furnishing your new home.
Who needs a gym when you live in the South of France? From water sports to hiking in the hills, Cannes has lots of activities to keep you busy. Head down to the Croisette and spend a couple of hours windsurfing or take an early morning beach yoga class overlooking the sea. Get out onto the water and kayak around the bay with friends or take the kids paragliding from a private boat. Take advantage of the jogging trails that curve through the town or simply grab a picnic lunch and take a hike in the hills above Cannes. With so much on offer, you’ll have no excuse to stay indoors, no wonder they say that the lifestyle here is so good for you!
Choosing Property in Cannes
With such a wonderful selection of real estate on offer, Cannes is definitely the perfect place to invest in luxury property. From chic beachfront apartments to spacious estates in the hills, this city has it all. But when it comes to finding your new residence, there are a few things to consider before you buy. To make sure your property truly fits your lifestyle, we’ve put together a list of factors worth considering whilst you search for your dream home on the French Riviera:
- Sea View: Cannes has arguably the most famous sea view in the world. So why not take advantage of living in the French Riviera’s most glamorous resort and choose a property with a fabulous Mediterranean backdrop. Take a look at our selection of luxury properties with panoramic views of the Bay of Cannes and pick your favourite, it’s as easy as that.
- Outdoor Space: If you’re after a beautiful sea view, the chances are you’re also looking for a property with outside space. The South of France is renowned for its warm Mediterranean climate after all. And what could be better than soaking up the sunshine in the privacy of your own home. Browse our wide range of properties with terraces and gardens and get ready to enjoy the golden light of the French Riviera all year round .
- Parking: If your supercar is your pride and joy, you’ll want to make sure it’s totally secure while you’re in residence. So why not consider one of our many luxury properties with a private underground parking space or a garage for total peace of mind. There’s nothing quite like having the very best parking spot in town in your very own residence.
- Amenities: Once the hard work of finding a property in Cannes is over and done with, it will be time to sit back and relax. And where better to do that than in the comfort and privacy of your new home. From home gyms to saunas, swimming pools to massage rooms, many of our luxury properties are fully equipped to cater to all your health and well-being requirements.
- Storage: It’s well known that there’s no such thing as too much storage. Whether you’re looking for a family home or a second residence, you’ll want a place to put everything. Check out our selection of properties with additional storage areas or underground cellars to make sure you have more than enough space for your family and guests.
Cannes has long been seen as a desirable place in which to live and invest. The high standard of living and glamorous surroundings are 2 of the biggest advantages to living in town, but there are many other reasons to purchase real estate in Cannes:
- The climate: Cannes enjoys up to 300 days of sunshine during the year, nobody could ask for better than that.
- The location: Sitting on the French Riviera between Monaco and St Tropez, Cannes is very accessible. Nice Côte d'Azur International Airport is just 45 mins down the road for easy transfers into town.
- The real estate opportunities: Properties in Cannes and the surrounding area are in demand. Real estate in Cannes has a high resale value and rental accommodation close to the Palais des Festivals is highly sought-after.
- The region: There is so much to do in the French Riviera. Ski in nearby resorts such as Auron, Isola or Limone, visit Italy, Monaco or St Tropez for the day, sail to the Iles de Lerins or simply sit on the beach and relax, the choice is yours.
- The events: You’re perfectly placed to enjoy all the goings-on in town, including the Cannes Film Festival, the Cannes Yacht Show, and the International Fireworks Competition, to name but a few.
- The lifestyle: It’s glamorous and inviting thanks to the beautiful beaches, world-class restaurants and designer boutiques in the city centre.
- The nightlife: It’s quite simply dazzling. Enjoy a night out at a VIP club, or get away from the crowds in a tiny wine bar in the old town, there’s always somewhere new to go.
Highlights of the Social Calendar
Every year, Cannes plays host to some of the world’s most glamorous social events. From conferences to festivals, there is always something to see in the city. We’ve put together a shortlist of some of our favourites which we think you might enjoy:
- Cannes MIPIM ~ March
- Cannes MIPTV ~ April
- Cannes Film Festival ~ May
- Cannes Collection ~ June
- Cannes MIDEM Music ~ June
- Cannes Lions ~ June
- Cannes International Fireworks Festival ~ July
- Cannes International Yacht Festival ~ September
- Cannes MIPCOM ~ October
- Cannes Dance Festival ~ December
Cannes Real Estate Collections
Cannes Property Prices
To help you better understand the Cannes property market, we've put together the following guide to current house prices by area:
Arrange a Viewing
If you’d like to find out more about living in Cannes, or you’d like more information about any of our Cannes luxury real estate please get in touch with our team.
We will be delighted to introduce to this little corner of paradise!