Beaulieu Essential Details
- Post code: 06011 / 06310
- Region: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Department: Alpes-Maritimes
- Population: 3,742
- Elevation: 0 - 189 m
- Geo-coordinates: 43°42′18″N 7°19′48″E
- Distance to Nice airport: 16 kms (32 mins drive)
- More info on Wikipedia
A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF BEAULIEU
One-third of the French Riviera’s “golden triangle”, Beaulieu literally means ‘beautiful place’ in French. That's a pretty good indication that this seaside town is a little bit out of the ordinary. Originally part of neighbouring Villefranche sur Mer, the town of Beaulieu dates all the way back to prehistoric times. Once known as the Greek port of Anao, Beaulieu still retains links with its Grecian past today thanks to the impressive Villa Kerylos museum on the waterfront. And while it may have been a quiet port for many years, the arrival of the Calais-Mediterranean Express on the French Riviera in the 1880’s changed everything. Aristocrats and members of the jet set from all over Europe began to make their way to down to Nice and quickly discovered this beautiful beach resort just a few kilometres down the coast.
Beaulieu won independence from Villefranche in 1891, and soon became a popular winter destination for well-known figures such as Queen Victoria and King Leopold II of Belgium. Architect Gustav Eiffel wintered in Beaulieu for many years and left his mark on the town when he designed the Art Nouveau casino and rotunda down on the waterfront. And American press magnate Gordon Bennett loved Beaulieu so much, he had the town’s first ever phone line installed in his favourite restaurant La Réserve, just to make reservations at his convenience. As beautiful as it is appealing, Beaulieu definitely still has that special ‘je ne sais quoi’ quality about it today. So why not let yourself be tempted by the many charms of this pretty little beach resort and fall in love with Beaulieu sur Mer.
Set against a backdrop of rocky mountains and the azure water of the Mediterranean, Beaulieu is blessed with a fabulous climate and year-round sunshine. The main streets are shaded with orange and lemon trees, and the promenade along the sea front is lined with elegant palms. Belle Epoque villas are hidden away behind gated residences, and you’ll find beautiful Art Nouveau buildings around every corner. Strolling through the picturesque town centre with its exclusive boutiques will make you feel like you’ve stepped back into the golden age of the French Riviera. Over in Place Marinoni, the daily market adds a touch of Provençal colour to the town, while the modern marina puts on a dazzling display of sleek superyachts all year round. Also home to many of Beaulieu’s bars and restaurants, the marina is the perfect place to sit, and people watch for a while over a lazy lunch in the sunshine.
With several museums, art galleries and outdoor venues, Beaulieu is no slouch when it comes to entertainment either. The town has its own cinema and theatre and regularly hosts concerts and performances from local musicians during the year. Nature fans will love the stunning views from the coastal path which leads around the headland from Beaulieu to St Jean Cap Ferrat, while the seafront olive grove is the perfect place to relax and escape the sun in the middle of the day. Famous for its micro climate, legend has it that the first banana tree in Europe was planted in Beaulieu’s La Petite Afrique neighbourhood. And although the banana trees are long gone, we guarantee that you’ll love the beach of the same name which curves all around the eastern side of town. The perfect place to top up your tan, or get your adrenaline going on a jet ski out in the Bay, there’s nothing quite like life in the French Riviera.
There’s so much going on in Beaulieu that you might never need to leave town again. But it would be a shame to miss out on the rest of the French Riviera. Beaulieu is just minutes away from the glittering resorts of Monaco, Antibes and Cannes so popping into the city for shopping or dinner is always a good idea. And further afield, Italy is just a short drive away from Beaulieu. Why not explore the best the Mediterranean has to offer with a trip over the border for lunch on the Italian coast. And although Beaulieu might be known as a summer resort, it’s also within easy range of the Southern Alps. Pop up to one of the local resorts and spend time in the fresh powder, the lights are always bright when you’re living in paradise on the French Riviera.
LIVING IN BEAULIEU
Once you’re a Beaulieu resident, you’ll understand why real estate in this little town is so sought-after. With its very own microclimate, a glorious stretch of beach and close proximity to Monaco and Nice, Beaulieu is one of the crown jewels of the French Riviera. Browse the Provençal market with the locals or stroll along the coastal path to St Jean Cap Ferrat for an aperitif, there’s always something to do here. From the dozens of chic boutiques, to the fantastic restaurants and selection of social events which would put any big city to shame, we can guarantee that Beaulieu will feel like home as soon as you arrive in town.
Beaulieu is renowned for its 2 beautiful beaches. Both are set in a sheltered cove and are surrounded by impressive pine trees which offer welcome shade in the heat of summer. Head to one of the elegant private beach clubs for a lazy day in the sunshine or pop down to Riviera Sports to check out their amazing range of thrilling water sports in the Bay. If you’d rather get out onto the water, the Beaulieu Yacht Club is the ideal spot to try out kayaking or windsurfing, while joining the local diving club will give you a chance to discover the Mediterranean from below the surface.
Of course, Beaulieu also has a whole range of sports activities which can be enjoyed on dry land too. The town has 2 fitness centres, its own multi sports stadium, several magnificent clay tennis courts and even a beach volleyball/football court. Take an outdoor yoga class on the beach, go aquabiking in the sheltered harbour or challenge the locals to a game of boules at the town’s ubiquitous petanque court. Whatever leisure activities you’re into, it will be all the more satisfying to enjoy the great outdoors here in beautiful Beaulieu.
Living in a small town doesn’t mean missing out on an opportunity to shop til you drop here in the French Riviera. Beaulieu might only have 5000 residents, but it also has an impressive array of exclusive boutiques and stores. Shop for luxury goods and homewares in the centre of town, or head to the port area for glamorous accessories and beachwear. The town hosts a daily fruit and vegetable market in Place Marinoni which is ideal for picking up locally grown produce and fresh bread from the bakery stall. And there’s also a weekly Provençal market on Tuesdays and Saturdays where you can get your fix of delicious Niçois olives and herbs right in the heart of town. If French furniture and knickknacks are your thing, Beaulieu organises an antiques market in the marina on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month. Browse stalls piled high with decorative glassware and china and take home a treat for your new property in Beaulieu. Shopping has never been so much fun.
For a small resort, Beaulieu also has more than its fair share of excellent restaurants. With a fantastic selection of places to eat ranging from cosy local bistros to fine dining establishments, your next great meal is only ever minutes away. Head down to the port for fresher than fresh seafood or sit on one of the sunny terraces in the centre of town for the best pizza and pasta around. With several Michelin-starred restaurants in Beaulieu, you’ll be spoilt for choice if you’re looking for an exceptional meal with your friends and family. And with a wide range of international cuisine on offer from Moroccan dishes to Indian specialities, you might find that eating out becomes the new staying in once you live in the South of France.
The French Riviera is well known for its exciting cultural scene and Beaulieu is no exception to the rule. Over the years Beaulieu has turned many a head with its beauty including many well-known artists and musicians. Every summer the town hosts a series of concerts to celebrate guitar music with international stars from all over the globe coming together to play in an ancient olive grove overlooking the Mediterranean. And throughout the year there are lots of events ranging from the town’s namesake festival in September with its traditional dancing and celebrations to the lovely Christmas market held in December. From concerts to fireworks, art to theatre, there’s always a reason to go out and celebrate when you live in Beaulieu.
If you’re looking for a night to remember, Beaulieu is definitely the place to be. The lively bars and restaurants down in the marina are open til late in the evening and there’s nothing nicer than sitting on a terrace to people watch as you sip a cold drink. Pop down to one of the chic beach clubs for cocktails with a view or spend the evening listening to live music in one of the bars in the centre of town. For a truly unforgettable evening book a table on the Garden terrace at the glamorous Art Nouveau casino on the waterfront. Watch the sun set over the Mediterranean as you eat dinner. And then move inside to spend the evening gambling in luxurious style in the recently renovated casino before strolling home to your fabulous new Beaulieu property.
Small but perfectly formed and with endless opportunities for adventure, this idyllic beach resort is the ideal location for a dream home on the French Riviera.
CHOOSING BEAULIEU PROPERTY
When it comes to purchasing luxury real estate in Beaulieu, we’ve got the best selection in town. Happily, the location and weather in this part of the world are a given, but there are several other factors to consider before buying. We’ve put together a list of points to consider when searching for a new home on the French Riviera to make sure you find the perfect property.
- Sea view: Without a doubt Beaulieu has one of the loveliest bays in the world. It curves gently around the town and offers breathtaking views over neighbouring Villefranche sur Mer and St Jean Cap Ferrat. To make it a permanent backdrop to your French Riviera life, why not check out our selection of luxury properties overlooking the Mediterranean.
- Outdoor space: And if you’ve got a wonderful sea view, it pays to have a private terrace or garden to make the most of it. With endless sunshine and mild temperatures, spending time outside is a year round activity in Beaulieu. We have an extensive range of properties with outside space ranging from balconies and terraces to Mediterranean gardens, so we’re sure to have something to catch your eye.
- Swimming pool: An outdoor swimming pool is without a doubt the perfect complement for your luxury French Riviera property. And luckily we have a fabulous selection of villas and apartments in Beaulieu, all with their very own swimming pool for unforgettable summers with the family.
- Guestroom: Having family and friends to stay is always nice, but giving them have their own space is even nicer. We have several properties in Beaulieu with guestrooms or independent guest houses within the grounds to accommodate all your visitors. Playing host has never been so easy.
- Parking: Parking is always a headache in town during the summer season. So why not select one of our Beaulieu properties with a private garage or parking space to make sure you’re always ahead of the game when it comes to looking for a prime spot.
- Storage: We think you’ll agree, you can never have too much storage. Whether you need room to store winter equipment like skis and snowboards or a place to keep your paperwork tidy, a little additional space is always useful. We have a great choice of properties in Beaulieu with underground cellars or basement storage areas, so you’ll have no trouble finding a place for all your special items.
THE BEAULIEU LIFESTYLE
Whether you’re searching for a family home, planning to buy a luxurious holiday house or simply looking for a good investment, you won’t regret choosing Beaulieu sur Mer. This vibrant little town has a great location and glorious weather all year round, so what’s not to like? Here are a few of our top reasons for picking Beaulieu sur Mer as your French Riviera base:
- The climate - Sunny and warm with its very own microclimate, living in Beaulieu sur Mer feels like a permanent vacation.
- The location - Set between the mountains and the Mediterranean and just minutes away from Monaco, Beaulieu’s location is as good as it gets.
- The position - Part of the French Riviera’s Golden Triangle, Beaulieu sur Mer is just a short stroll away from both Villefranche and St Jean Cap Ferrat.
- The scenery - When the town’s name translates to ‘beautiful place’ you know you’ve hit the scenery jackpot, and that jackpot is Beaulieu sur Mer.
- The small-town vibe - With less than 5000 residents, living in Beaulieu is like being a member of a very select club.
- The beaches - Sheltered and sunny, Beaulieu has some of the prettiest beaches along the coast.
- The things to do - With a daily Provencal market, dozens of luxurious boutiques and exciting events held throughout the year, residents of Beaulieu sur Mer enjoy the good life on a day to day basis.
- The restaurant scene- Beaulieu has a fantastic selection of restaurants and brasseries to enjoy.
- The history - From Belle Epoque villas to the iconic Palais des Anglais, Beaulieu has a long and exciting history of playing host to the international jet set.
- The access - Getting to Beaulieu sur Mer is easy thanks to Nice Cote d’Azur International Airport just a few kilometres down the coast.
BEST BEAULIEU EVENTS
From music festivals to art and antiques, Beaulieu has got it going on. The French Riviera’s most captivating little town is always buzzing and you’ll love the exciting events organised throughout the year. We’ve put together a list of the highlights to make sure you don’t miss out on any of the action when you’re in residence:
- ITF Tennis Tournament ~ February
- Garden Festival ~ April & May
- International Junior Tennis Open ~ April
- Youth and Family Festival ~ May
- Feast of St Pierre ~ June
- Fete de la Musique ~ June
- Beaulieu Nights~ July & August
- Guitar Nights Festival ~ July
- Annual town BBQ and dance ~ August
- Patron Saint of Beaulieu Festival ~ September
- Beaulieu Classic Festival ~ September
- Antiques Fair~ September
- Halloween Celebrations ~ October
- Beaujolais Nouveau Celebrations~ November
- Christmas Market ~ December
ARRANGE A VIEWING
We’d love to help you find Beaulieu sur Mer property for sale, so why not let us take the stress out of searching for a new home? From arranging private viewings to finding the perfect villa or apartment for your family, we’ll do it all. Just contact our international team and get ready to enjoy your new life in the heart of the French Riviera.